How to book a blood test for children under 12 years of age:
- Book via Swiftqueue Registration must be completed in full and confirmation of the booking received before attending.
- For those that do not have internet access, and also for children who have learning disabilities, call Children’s Outpatients on 01708 435289
- Children with special needs should ONLY be booked on a Monday.
- Bloods for genetic testing should be booked before 11am and no genetic bloods on a Friday.
A blood test is when a sample of blood is taken for testing in a laboratory. Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test. For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- confirm the presence of a bacterial or viral infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning
A blood test usually involves the phlebotomist taking a blood sample from a blood vessel in your arm. and the usual place for a sample is the inside of the elbow or wrist, where the veins are relatively close to the surface. Blood samples from children are most commonly taken from the back of the hand. The child's hand will be anaesthetised (numbed) with a special cream before the sample is taken.
Click here to find out more about blood tests, their purpose and the way they are performed.